NTH Consultants, Ltd. Geotechnical Engineer-Shoreline in Northville, Michigan
CULTIVATE YOUR CAREER
Join the FUN CULTURE at a METRO DETROIT’S 2018 BEST AND BRIGHTEST and 2018 ESOP COMPANY OF THE YEAR firm. Exciting project work, professional development and a robust employee engagement program set us apart.
NTH is a regionally recognized engineering firm specializing in professional civil, environmental, geotechnical and infrastructure consulting engineering.
We have an immediate opening for a Geotechnical Engineer with five+ years of experience in our Northville, MI office. Candidates must have experience in geotechnical and geo-structural analysis and design is necessary. Experience with analysis and design of shoreline and/or marine structures is highly desirable. Candidates must be accurate, dependable, organized and have strong interpersonal skills. Must have a Bachelor’s degree in engineering; a Master’s degree is preferred. Professional Registration is preferred.
Master of Science degree in Civil Engineering (emphasis on geotechnical engineering) or equivalent degree from a 4-year accredited college or university.
Successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering exam or EIT required. Professional licensure or ability to attain professional licensure in the State of Michigan within 12 months preferred.
5-8 years of demonstrated experience in Civil Engineering or Geotechnical Engineering analysis and design. Solid Soil Mechanics background, and excellent skills in geotechnical applications and soil-structure interaction. Experience with software for geotechnical analysis and design of slope stability, earth retention / shoring, settlement, vertical and lateral loading of shallow and deep foundations, and related items is necessary. Experience with analysis and design of shoreline and/or marine structures, including seawalls, jetties, piers, water intake structures, and soft or armored shorelines, is desirable. Knowledge of load evaluation from wave action, river currents, and ice forces is also sought.
Key Job Elements
In this role, you will:
- Perform a variety of engineering analyses and calculations, with and without the use of engineering software.
- Coordinate field observations and studies, including on-site direction of geotechnical drilling activities, as needed. Monitor construction operations, including earthwork, dewatering, and excavation support installations and prepare engineering field reports.
- Observe test boring drilling, test pit excavation, monitoring well installation, geotechnical instrumentation installation and perform data analyses.
- Conduct laboratory and field testing of soils, and independently perform site characterization.
- Prepare technical proposals, cost estimates, plans, technical specifications, and reports, including day-to-day correspondence.
- Develop and present project-specific or technical presentations to clients, technical organizations, and in-house staff.
- Coordinate constructions quality control services, conduct periodic site visits, and review daily field reports prepared by others.
- Must have strong written and oral communication skills, be able to work in a team environment as well as independently,demonstrated team-oriented approach to problem-solving, and have strong interpersonal skills for contact with clients and fellow engineers/technicians.
- Accuracy, dependability and strong organizational skills
- Exceptional time management skills, ability to manage multiple assignments at any given time, and have ability to work in a team environment.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license, and willing to travel to and conduct field work at job sites/offices in Michigan and Ohio.
- Knowledge in numerical analyses for geotechnical and shoreline wall designs is preferred.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
- May be required to perform job duties in the field and office, during non-standard work hours, as necessary.
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
- May be required to enter and work within confined spaces, once appropriately trained.
Leadership and Project Management Experience
- At least 1 year of demonstrated leadership experience in mentoring and leading junior staff.
- Ability to organize technical material into comprehensive reports as well as perform QA/QC reviews on work product
- Project planning, budgeting, task delegation and management to ensure project is completed according to work plans
- Project Administration, including invoicing and collections.
- PMP certification a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to seek and establish new clients and build good business relationships with both new and current clients.
- Develop and maintain professional business relationships with targeted clients.
- Conduct periodic site / client visits, project and business development meetings.
- Assist in developing business strategies and action plans for creating growth opportunities.
- Work with Business Development staff to develop new clients and opportunities.
Authorized to work full-time in the U.S.A. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired are required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
AAP / EEO Statement
NTH Consultants, Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or disability.
Location: Northville, MI